Brown County Courthouse
Campbell County Courthouse
Day County Courthouse
Edmunds County Courthouse
Faulk County Courthouse
Marshall County Courthouse
McPherson County Courthouse
Roberts County Courthouse
Spink County Courthouse
Walworth County Courthouse

Getting your License Back

IN ORDER FOR YOU to get your license and full driving privileges back, you’ll need to understand just a few things.


You have been convicted of a violation which requires you to prove to the state, for three years, that all vehicles (car, pickup, van, motorcycle, etc.) you own are insured. If you do not own any vehicles, you must purchase a non-owner or operator policy. SDCL 32-35-43.

The form the insurance companies use to show proof of insurance is called a SR-22 filing. This is the only form of proof which will be accepted by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

It is your responsibility to notify your insurance company, as soon as possible, that you need a SR-22 filing. If you change vehicles OR insurance companies any time during the three years, you must ask them to refile your SR-22 with the Department of Public Safety. Keep in mind that it may take insurance companies some time to file the SR-22.

Your insurance coverage and the SR-22 filing must be maintained continuously for three years from the date of your conviction, whether or not you own a motor vehicle. It is your responsibility to avoid a lapse in SR-22 coverage.

If you are holding a Class 2 (car/motorcycle), A3, B3, or C3 driver license, you must maintain insurance coverage and a SR-22 filing for both types of vehicles, even if you do not own both. If you do not wish to retain a SR-22 for both vehicles, your driver license must be changed prior to cancellation of the SR-22 to avoid re-suspension of your driving privileges.

Once your SR-22 filing is received by the state, you will be eligible to apply for a new license at the driver exam station, provided you have no other suspensions, revocations, or disqualifications in South Dakota or any other state.

When you are eligible to reinstate your driver license, you will need to go to a state exam station to apply for a new license. You must pass all the required tests and pay a reinstatement fee of fifty dollars ($50.00), plus all applications fees. Driver’s License Manuals are available at any exam station.

If at any time during the three year period, your insurance company notifies the state that they have canceled all of your filings, or all filings on any one type of vehicle you are licensed to drive, your driver’s license along with the plates and registration of any vehicles you own will immediately be re-suspended. You would be required to pay another $50.00 reinstatement fee upon reinstatement of your license.

If there is a financial responsibility suspension on your record, you will not be able to renew your vehicle registration or transfer a vehicle title into your name until a SR-22 is received by the Department of Public Safety.

If you still have questions about what a SR-22 filing is or what you need to do to get one, talk to your insurance agent. If you need more answers about how to get your license back, please contact the South Dakota Department of Public Safety at the following:

Department of Public Safety
Driver Licensing Program
118 West Capitol Avenue
Pierre, South Dakota 57501-2000
(605) 773-6883
Website: Department of Public Safety

Home | Forms | Calendar | News | Records | Opinions | Contact Us
©Copyright 2012 - State of South Dakota