First Circuit Law Clerk (2 positions)
Mitchell or Yankton
Unified Judicial System
Please indicate your location preference on the application
Position Purpose: This is a benefitted position that serves at the pleasure of the Presiding Judge for a one-year period (August 1, 2018 to July 31, 2019). This position performs professional legal work by conducting legal research, communicating with Judges regarding relevant points of law pertaining to legal issues before the court, and drafting legal documents and decisions to assist Judges of the Unified Judicial System (UJS). Duties may include:
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited law school and possession of a Juris Doctorate. No experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- the law;
- the functions of the circuit court;
- the court system;
- the legal and judicial system as a whole.
- conduct effective research and make informed recommendations and decisions;
- locate sources of legal information;
- compose legal documents;
- maintain confidentiality of any discussions or written communications with Judges involving assigned legal work;
- communicate complex legal ideas and information effectively both orally and in writing;
- establish effective working relationships with a variety of people.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, class rank, LSAT score, and writing sample to:
First Judicial Circuit Court
Circuit Court Administrator
410 Walnut Street, Suite 201
Yankton, SD 57078-4390
Phone: (605) 668-5685; Fax (605) 668-5499
An Equal Opportunity Employer