Second Circuit Law Clerk (2 positions)
Unified Judicial System
Position Purpose: These are benefitted positions that serve at the pleasure of the Presiding Judge for a one-year period (August 1, 2018 to July 31, 2019). These positions perform legal research and writing to assist the judges of the Second Judicial Circuit, Sioux Falls; the Second Circuit is the largest jurisdiction in the state by caseload serving a population of about 278,000. The trial court bench currently includes eleven Circuit judges of general jurisdiction and four magistrate judges of limited jurisdiction. Duties may include:
- reading and reviewing briefs;
- conferring with the judges on pending cases and motions filed;
- researching points of law and drafting memorandums to the judges on pending cases;
- attending, observing and taking notes at court proceedings at the request of the judge;
- researching legal authority and preparing recommendation opinions or decisions for the judge’s review within the legal timeframes;
- updating files and maintaining legal materials for the law library and courtroom reference materials;
- performing other work as required.
These positions will work among all Second Circuit judges and are not individually assigned to one judge. In addition, these positions may travel to Lincoln County, but primarily work in the Minnehaha County courthouse.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited law school and possession of a Juris Doctorate. No experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of the law; of the court system; of the functions of the court; and of the legal and judicial system as a whole.
Ability to efficiently research; locate sources of legal information; perform critical analysis of legal issues and to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript showing class rank, LSAT score, and writing sample to the address below. If the writing sample is a paper submitted for a class project, the entire writing should be submitted, not just a portion of it. If some of the writing sample was prepared in collaboration with others, the portion that is solely the work product of the applicant should be clearly identified.
Director of Human Resources
Unified Judicial System
500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-4867; Fax (605) 773-8437
An Equal Opportunity Employer