Fourth Circuit Law Clerk
Unified Judicial System
Position Purpose: This position performs professional legal work by conducting legal research, communicating with Judges regarding relevant points of law pertaining to legal issues before the court, and drafting legal documents and decisions to assist Judges of the Unified Judicial System (UJS). The term is for a one-year period (August 1, 2018 to July 31, 2019). Duties may include:
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited law school and possession of a Juris Doctorate. No experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- the law and South Dakota law;
- the functions of the circuit court;
- the court system;
- the legal and judicial system as a whole.
- conduct effective research and make informed recommendations and decisions;
- locate sources of legal information;
- compose legal documents;
- maintain confidentiality of any discussions or written communications with Judges involving assigned legal work;
- communicate complex legal ideas and information effectively both orally and in writing;
- establish effective working relationships with a variety of people.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to:
Fourth Judicial Circuit Court
Circuit Court Administrator
1425 Sherman Street
PO Box 939
Sturgis, SD 57785
Phone: (605) 347-0017; Fax (605) 347-3526
An Equal Opportunity Employer