For Immediate Release: Aug. 24, 2023
Contact: Alisa Bousa, Public Information Officer
Indigent Legal Services Task Force to Hold Fifth Meeting
PIERRE, S.D.—The Indigent Legal Services Task Force created by HB 1064 during the 2023 South Dakota Legislative Session will hold its fifth meeting on Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023, virtually via Zoom.
Task force members will review meeting goals, review a draft final report and recommendations, discuss next steps and take public comment. The draft Indigent Legal Services Task Force Final Report and Recommendations is posted at https://ujs.sd.gov/Resources/IndigentLegalServices.aspx under the link for meeting materials and presentations.
The meeting will be held from 10 a.m. to noon CDT. The Zoom link is: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84250778300?pwd=WGN0WWEybEQ2OUhLQi9UWG52M3gvZz09.
Meeting ID: 842 5077 8300
Via Phone: 312-626-6799
The goal of the Task Force as stated in the legislation is to:
- Identify how legal services are delivered in South Dakota to indigent parties in criminal, juvenile and child abuse and neglect proceedingsstatewide.
- Recommend ways to improve the delivery of legal services to indigentparties.
- Recommend methods to provide services for conflict cases where local public defenders may be unable to takecases.
- Address how to ensure competent representation is provided to indigentparties.
- Identify potential funding options to ensure delivery of legal services for indigentparties.
For more information on the Indigent Legal Services Task Force, visit https://ujs.sd.gov/Resources/IndigentLegalServices.aspx.
About South Dakota Courts: The Unified Judicial System (UJS) consists of the Supreme Court, Circuit Courts and State Court Administrator’s Office. The Supreme Court is the state’s highest court and final decision maker on South Dakota law. The Circuit Courts are the state’s trial courts where criminal proceedings and civil litigation are handled. The State Court Administrator’s Office provides centralized administrative assistance and support services for the South Dakota judiciary.
Learn more at https://ujs.sd.gov.