For Immediate Release: Sept. 7, 2023
Contact: Alisa Bousa, Public Information Officer
Alisa.Bousa@ujs.state.sd.us | 605.773.2031
Organizations Partner to Train on Child Abuse Prevention
PIERRE, S.D.—Hundreds of professionals and community members from across the region will come together for the 23rd annual Community Response to Child Abuse Conference on Oct. 5-6, 2023, at the Sioux Falls Convention Center.
This training event connects multidisciplinary team members while offering continuing education. The professional training and educational opportunities are geared toward teachers, medical professionals, school officials, dentists, law enforcement, social workers, mental health providers, youth service providers, the legal community, and other community members and child advocates.
Attendees will hear from national and regional speakers on topics that will help professionals and the public better understand child abuse and strengthen response efforts. Keynote addresses will include:
- Unto the Third Generation: A Call to End Child Abuse Within 30 Years presented by Victor Vieth, chief program officer, education and research, Zero Abuse Project
- Familial Trafficking of Minor Males presented by Nathan Earl, principal, giantslayer., LLC
- Know Your Why presented by Mitchell Reed, superintendent, Florence School District
Conference participants can choose from multiple breakout session opportunities. Examples of additional learning opportunities include:
- Momentum Court – A New Way for Courts to Handle Abuse/Neglect Cases
- Whole Child Approach: Engaging Learners & Families through Relationships
- In My Neighbor’s House: MDT Responses in Rural Communities
- Honoring Our Children by Honoring our Traditions — Overview of Positive Indian Parenting
Registration is now available for in-person, student discount and on-demand post-conference portal options.
Conference sponsors include South Dakota Unified Judicial System’s Court Improvement Program, Child’s Voice at Sanford Health and Center for the Prevention of Child Maltreatment at the University of South Dakota. Learn more and register at https://conference.sdcpcm.com.
About South Dakota Courts: The Unified Judicial System (UJS) consists of the Supreme Court, Circuit Courts and State Court Administrator’s Office. The Supreme Court is the state’s highest court and final decision maker on South Dakota law. The Circuit Courts are the state’s trial courts where criminal proceedings and civil litigation are handled. The State Court Administrator’s Office provides centralized administrative assistance and support services for the South Dakota judiciary. Learn more at https://ujs.sd.gov.