Unified Judicial System
500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Indigent Legal Services Task Force First Meeting
For Immediate Release
Contact: Greg Sattizahn 773-3474
The Indigent Legal Services Task Force created by HB 1064 during the 2023 Legislative session will meet in Room 362 of the State Capitol on Friday, March 31, 2023, beginning at 10 a.m. CST. This is the first meeting of the Task Force. The goal of this Task Force as stated in the legislation is to:
- Identify how legal services are delivered in South Dakota to indigent parties in criminal, juvenile and child abuse and neglect proceedings statewide;
- Recommend ways to improve the delivery of legal services to indigent parties;
- Recommend methods to provide services for conflict cases where local public defenders may be unable to take cases;
- Address how to ensure competent representation is provided to indigent parties; and
- Identify potential funding options to ensure delivery of legal services for indigent parties.
Individuals needing assistance pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, should contact State Court Administration (605) 773-3474 48 hours before convening to make any necessary arrangements.