In South Dakota, probation-related activities are handled by Court Services, a department of the Court. In general, Court Services monitors compliance with sentences
and court orders in both adult and juvenile cases. Court Services shouldn't be confused with Parole, which is administered by the State Department of Corrections.
You can find more information about state prisons and parole at the Department of Corrections site.
Court Services in the 2nd Circuit supervises an average of 1400 adults and 200 juveniles at any time. Court Services responsibilities include:
- Supervision of clients sentenced to Adult Probation, Adult Intensive Probation, Drug Court, DUI Court, Veterans Court, Juvenile Probation, and Juvenile Intensive Probation
- Interstate compacts and cooperation with other states when people move to or from South Dakota with outstanding cases, sentences or court orders to complete.
- Drug testing and screening, collection of DNA samples, and other tests.
- Pre-sentence investigations, often called "PSI's," which summarize a defendant's life history, previous offenses if any, and the likelihood of re-offense or
successful rehabilitation. In the juvenile arena, Social Case Studies are completed by Court Services Officer's which contain basically the same information as
the PSI's. Second Circuit completes approximately 25 PSI's per month, and 7 Social Case Studies per month.
- Completion of a validated risk tool to determine the clients risk and criminogenic needs.
- Referrals for counseling, chemical dependency assessments/programming, and other community services depending on risk and criminogenic need.
- Alcohol (SCRAM) monitoring, restitution and payment tracking, and other monitoring and tracking services.
- Juvenile diversion programs, alternative treatment programs, and other compliance and assessment programs and techniques.
Court Services in the Second Circuit has 38 employees; a Chief Court Services Officer, Deputy Chief Court Services Officer, 29 Court Services Officers,
1 Drug/DUI Court Coordinator, and 5 general support staff. The Court Services office in Sioux Falls is located on the 2nd floor of the Minnehaha County Courthouse.
In Lincoln County, Court Services is located on the 2nd Floor of the Lincoln County Courthouse.
View More ...